September is Whole Grains Month, Enter Your Fave Charity to Win Free Food!
September is Whole Grains Month, and time to make a resolution to add a few more servings of whole grains to your life. As you know, it’s always whole grains month around here, so I have plenty of helpful recipes and tips to get you started.
I promise, this will be fun, if you try my Naked Barley Chocolate Chip Cookies, or my Kale Bowl with Quinoa and Spicy Dressing. Grilled Collard Rolls Filled with Quinoa and Avocado are to die for, really.
A Great Whole Grain Giveaway
Nominate your favorite food charity to win cases and cases of whole grain goodies! Just click here and tell the WGC how your fave charity helps address food insecurity.
Your local food shelf, a great soup kitchen, or anybody doing something creative to get real food into the hands of people who need it deserves to be entered to win.
I love this idea, for many reasons. The first being that folks who are in need will get food that really nourishes them. Whole grains are the cornerstone of health, and people who are living with the stress of food insecurity deserve to have food that supports better health. There is plenty of evidence that poverty is linked with a host of health problems, and whole grains are good for many of them.
Another reason to love this giveaway is that it may just help someone start a new, healthy habit for the long-haul. The food bank that gives away cases of tasty whole grains isn’t just nourishing families for a day, it’s showing people that whole grain foods are tastier than they may have thought. Too many people still believe that white bread and pasta are the only kinds they like, and that bias crosses all income levels. Maybe some tasty whole grain foods will change hearts and minds for the better.
Are You Eating 3 Servings a Day?
Statistically speaking, you probably aren’t. Whole grain consumption is no where near where it really should be. Maybe you’re like me, exceeding the mark on a daily basis. Congratulations. If not, consider trying a few ideas from the Whole Grains Council:
Post this list of “baby-steps” on your fridge, and try as many as possible this month:
- I’ll buy three diﬀerent loaves of whole-grain bread and taste all of them to see which one we like best.
- I’ll serve bulgur or brown rice instead of potatoes with dinner one night this month.
- I’ll look for the Whole Grain Stamp every time I shop.
- I’ll try a new breakfast cereal with at least 16 grams of whole grain per serving.
- I’ll buy some whole-wheat pasta and try it.
- I’ll visit the health food store or a major grocery and look at all the diﬀerent grains in bins.
- I’ll make my favorite whole grain recipe for a friend.
- On the weekend, I’ll try cooking a pot of steel-cut oatmeal.
- I’ll make pizza for the kids with whole wheat pita as the crust.
- I’ll make our favorite cookies with whole wheat ﬂour next time instead of white.
- I’ll serve hamburgers with whole wheat buns this week.
- I’ll try all of the WGC’s Dozen Easy Family Whole Grain Recipes.
Try One of my Whole Grain Recipes
Click Here to go to a list of some of my easiest whole grain favorites. From Salads and Main Courses to Bars and Cookies, there are some whole grain recipes here to win you over.
Happy Whole Grains Month. It’s one celebration that your body will appreciate!