Vegan Meal Prep, the Cookbook
I was talking about meal prepping to a young person, at some point while testing the recipes for Vegan Meal Prep, and she said, “It’s adulting.” Vegan meal prepping is, in fact, a very special form of “adulting.” Meal prepping is the smart practice of planning your kitchen time efficiently. It’s about deciding what you want to eat and buying, preparing, and storing the foods you need to meet your needs and goals.
My 11th book, Vegan Meal Prep;A 5-Week Plan with 125 Ready-To-Go Recipes is a really useful, practical book that will save you money. It makes it easy to be as vegan as you want to be. If you have wanted to eat a plant-based diet, and thought it was going to be a challenge, this book will lay out the steps for a very do-able, attainable, and dare I say, tasty plan to reach your goals.
Vegan Meal Prep Takes a Plan
If you’ve ever cooked a big pot of beans, or made a batch of spaghetti sauce to eat all week, you were meal prepping. Most of us do it occasionally, just because it’s easier to make the full recipe and use it up later. Take that up a few notches, though, and you can follow my carefully engineered system, then prep for a few hours on the weekend. The work of organizing the recipes and making the shopping lists is already done, so you can just copy the list for that week and make a quick run to the store.
A 5-Week Plan with 125 Ready-To-Go Recipes
Taking charge of your meals with a prep plan is the way to set yourself up to succeed. Instead of coming home from work to gaze into a bare fridge, you’ll walk in that door to find your meal all set up. Instead of ordering take out, or eating the same packaged foods over and over, you’ll have healthy, plant-based, whole foods ready to go.
Whole Foods Meal Prep
When I built this book, I built it on a solid foundation: whole, real foods. Every week you’ll prep beans, tofu or tempeh, whole grains, and vegetables to use in delicious dishes. Instead of relying on pricey packaged foods, you’ll be eating the most healthful plant foods, and saving money as a bonus.
Dressings, Sauces, and Treats
Once your beans and grains and veggies are in play, all you need are some delicious sauces and dressings, breakfasts, and should you choose to make them, treats! A plant-based life is much easier when you have Creamy Cheesy Sauce, Cashew “Parmesan,” Aquafaba Mayo and Avocado Green Goddess or Creamy Cashew Dressing ready to go in the fridge.
You may notice all these shots of delicious brownies, bars and cupcakes: I took all of them while I was testing the recipes.
Life’s too short to give up your sweet treats!
I hope you’ll give my book a try, whether you are a new vegan or just dipping a toe in the plant-based waters. Everybody should be eating more plants, even if you don’t go all in.
Here’s a recipe from the breakfast section of the book, using some chickpeas and roasted sweet potatoes that you prepped on the weekend.
Sweet Potato Chickpea Cakes
- 1 cup mashed, baked sweet potato
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas or 1 can, drained
- 1/2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 2 teaspoons dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- canola oil for frying
- 1. In a medium bowl, combine the mashed sweet potatoes and mashed chickpeas. There should be rough chunks of chickpeas throughout the mixture. Add the crumbs, flax, sage, salt and pepper and mix well.
- 2. Use a 1/4 cup (60 mL) measure to portion 8 cakes, placing each on a plate. Form each cake into a 3 inch wide by 3/4 inch thick disk.
- 3. Heat oil in a large saute pan. When the oil is shimmering and hot, carefully slip the cakes into the pan. When all the cakes are in the pan and the oil is sizzling around them, reduce the heat to medium and cook for about 4 minutes, occasionally using your spatula to carefully separate each cake from sticking to the pan.
- 4. Turn the cakes at 4 minutes, they should be golden brown. Cook for 4-5 minutes on the other side, and carefully lift the cakes with your spatula to drain on the paper towel lined plate.Serve hot with desired condiments.