Vegan Meal Prep Wins the Day
When you think about meal prep, do you think about soups and casseroles, or pots of cooked grains and beans? Well, all those can be part of your vegan meal prep plan. But don’t forget about fun! These breakfast bars cover your breakfast and snack needs, with the charm of juicy blueberries and crunchy pecans to keep your interest. Life’s too short to eat cold cereal, my friends.
Healthy AND Fun!
You need fun in your life, and these bars bring it. Instead of a pop-tart or a donut, make yourself a pan of whole grain bars,and know that you are getting the benefits of unrefined, fiber and mineral rich wheat and oats. Blueberries aren’t just delicious, they are packed with antioxidants and vitamins. I strive to eat blueberries because they have been shown to prevent cognitive decline, and associated with lowering cancer risk. But, most of all, they fill me with delight, and that has health benefits, too.
Pack and Go
These bars are fantastic for taking along on your drive to work, a long bike ride, or anytime you need some sustenance handy. Have them with a cup of tea or coffee, for a burst of energy. If you warm them up and pop open a cup of your favorite yogurt, it’s a full meal.
For more meal prep ideas, my book, Vegan Meal Prep: A 5-Week Plan with 125 Ready-to-Go Recipes is a great place to start. My goal in the book was to show you that you can really eat a whole foods, no-convenience foods vegan diet, save money, and feel great, just by cooking for a couple of hours on the weekend, then making the prep into easy meals all week. The desserts and baked goods are good, too, all simple and easy to stir up.
Because you deserve to eat well.
Blueberry Breakfast Bars
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 2 medium bananas mashed
- 1/2 cup organic sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, mix water and flax and let stand for a few minutes to thicken a bit.
- In a medium bowl, mash bananas and stir in sugar and vanilla. Stir in the flax mixture.
- In a larger bowl, mix the flour, oats, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Stir in the banana mixture, just until mixed.
- Scoop about 2/3 of the batter into the prepared pan, and spread to an even layer. Sprinkle the blueberries over the batter, then dollop the remaining batter over the berries. Sprinkle the pecans evenly over the top.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until firm and lightly golden. Let cool on a rack before slicing 3 by 4 to make 12 bars.
Just made these- so good!! Thank you!
Thank you for these delicious bars. They go together so quickly! I made them after dinner for a late snack and am looking forward to a healthy treat with my morning coffee.
I’m so glad you like them- I know they don’t last long at my house!