Like many people, I grew up eating French toast. I think it was one of the first things my mom taught me to make. She liked to sleep in on the weekend, so teaching me a few breakfast dishes was a good way to keep me out of her hair on a Saturday. We had no inkling of how I’d eventually grow up to make eggless French toast, or how truly delicious it would be. Believe me, Vegan French Toast is not a disappointing stand-in for the original.
Vegan French Toast Should Be in Your Repertoire
I put it to you that whether you are vegan, vegan curious, or just friends with someone who enjoys a cholesterol-free breakfast, you need this recipe. It’s absolutely easy to make, and if you keep the ingredients in the pantry, you can whip it up at a moment’s notice. When I hear that someone is baffled by cooking for a newly vegan family member, I think of this dish, along with so many others. It’s really not that hard. And everyone will love it, even that guy who really doesn’t think he will.
It’s Real Food
You know I am no fan of weird, fake food. That’s why this plant-based recipe works so well for me. Chickpea flour and “nooch” give the batter protein and B12, so it’s a respectable way to start the day. I use Almond milk, but you can use your fave non-dairy milk-soymilk is higher in protein, if that’s what you’re craving. I used a white baguette, as much for the optics (videos and photos are essential for clicks!) as anything. I usually make it with whatever whole grain bread I have.
I also added the sufurous, eggy magic of Kala Nemak, the exotic form of black salt that can give your non-egg dishes a hint of yolky flavor.
(Try my Tofu Scramble or Frittata for more recipes with Kala Nemak.)
For authentic French Toast flavor, I used plant-based butter in the pan. Lately I’ve been using Country Crock, but you can use your fave brand. Miyoko’s is the gold standard, but it’s pricey, so I thought I’d give this one a go. It works really well for cooking these toasts to a lovely golden color. You could use coconut oil or avocado oil, too.
Weekends were made for a relaxing breakfast, and this French toast is perfect for a family-friendly feast!
Vegan French Toast
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch kala nemak
- 1 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 long baguette sliced
- vegan butter for the pan
- pure maple syrup
- In a large bowl, combine the chickpea flour, nooch and kala nemak, whisk well.
- Stir vanilla into the almond milk, then whisk the mixture into the chickpea mixture. Let stand for a few minutes to thicken.
- Submerge slices in the batter and soak for a minute.
- Place a large non-stick or cast iron skillet over medium heat and melt a tablespoon or two of vegan butter in the pan. Place the soaked bread slices in the hot pan, not touching.
- Cook for about 2 minutes per side, until golden. Transfer to plates and serve with more "butter" and maple syrup.