Sweet Potato and Corn Scones
At the end of summer, fresh sweet potatoes and corn combine in harmony in a sweet scone.
- 2 1/2 cups soft white whole wheat flour or whole wheat pastry
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup mashed sweet potato
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil or margarine
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 ears sweet corn cut from the cob
- 2 tablespoons Turbinado sugar for sprinkling
Preheat the oven to 400F. In a large bowl, combine whole wheat pastry flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
In a medium bowl, whisk the sweet potato, melted coconut oil, milk and cider vinegar. Stir into the dry ingredients until almost mixed, then add the corn and mix. Lightly flour the counter and scrape the dough out onto the flour. Form a disk of dough, then pat to about an inch thick. Use a bench knife or chefs knife to divide in 8 wedges. Sprinkle with Turbinado and transfer the scones to a baking sheet.
Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden and firm. Transfer the scones to a rack with a spatula. Cool completely.