Homemade Chai Masala and Mindful Chai
Make this spice mix yourself, so you can make a lightly spiced hot or cold chai at home. That way, you control the sweetness, and you can use coconut milk, almond milk, or dairy milk, for a custom drink.
- 4 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 5 cups water
- 4 teaspoons masala above
- 2 tablespoons black tea leaves or your favorite
- 1 cup milk of choice
- 1/2 cup honey or other sweetener to taste
Make masala of ground spices and whole fennel seeds. Mix well and store tightly covered.
For tea, put masala and water in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer, add the milk and vanilla if using, return to the boil, add tea and steep for 4 minutes off the heat. Strain the tea and stir in honey to taste.