Sweet Potato Chickpea Cakes
These delicate cakes will take the place of a sausage patty, without trying to pretend to be meat. Chunky chickpeas and tender sweet potato combine with earthy sage for a fragrant and satisfying breakfast. Delicious with your favorite hot sauce, mayo, or even ketchup.
- 1 cup mashed, baked sweet potato
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas or 1 can, drained
- 1/2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 2 teaspoons dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- canola oil for frying
1. In a medium bowl, combine the mashed sweet potatoes and mashed chickpeas. There should be rough chunks of chickpeas throughout the mixture. Add the crumbs, flax, sage, salt and pepper and mix well.
2. Use a 1/4 cup (60 mL) measure to portion 8 cakes, placing each on a plate. Form each cake into a 3 inch wide by 3/4 inch thick disk.
3. Heat oil in a large saute pan. When the oil is shimmering and hot, carefully slip the cakes into the pan. When all the cakes are in the pan and the oil is sizzling around them, reduce the heat to medium and cook for about 4 minutes, occasionally using your spatula to carefully separate each cake from sticking to the pan.
4. Turn the cakes at 4 minutes, they should be golden brown. Cook for 4-5 minutes on the other side, and carefully lift the cakes with your spatula to drain on the paper towel lined plate.Serve hot with desired condiments.